[SEDXC] Sometimes it just happens...

JT Croteau jt.n1ese at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 08:48:26 EDT 2007

Sometimes DX just pops up out of no where so one must never give up
when you have a limited station like I do.

Last night, around 0300 UTC, I was tuning around 40 meters.  The band
was in terrible shape here at the time although it had been fine a few
hours earlier.  It was a mess of S6 atmospheric noise and static
crashes along with deep QSB on the few stations I was hearing.   I had
given up on 40 for the night and just left the rig on, with the volume
turned down, and went about working on some other projects.  Around
0319, I hear a loud station calling CQ.  It wasn't 599 loud but he was
a solid 589 and was the loudest signal I was hearing at the time.  It
was HB9TPL, I answered his CQ and he came right back to me with a 589
as well.

Now, you may be saying to yourself that Switzerland is easy to work
all the time.  Well, what is so special about this to me is that it is
difficult to work EU DX from my location the way my antenna is
orientated.  I am also only running 5w as I have a K2 without the 100W
PA.  The antenna is a 40M dipole at 35' but it doesn't clear any
rooftops here and is broadside to the Caribbean so half the time when
I call CQ, I end up working Cuba or Florida.  The antenna is strung
between two 3 story apartment buildings just about at roof peak level

Put your faith in DX and you will work DX no mater your limitations.
I will never win the "wire contest" but I am having fun working the DX
I am working.  Never give up!

Current Score: 24 amongst 16 unique entities

--
JT Croteau, N1ESE - Manchester, NH (FN42gx)