[SEDXC] ND4V to appear before Norcross Zoning & Appeals Board -Thursday Night - 7:00 PM City Hall

Grant Bright gbright at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 25 16:16:09 EDT 2007

Hi Mike & DXers,

Please give us an update after the meeting tonight.

These type of "zoning crisis" are certainly a determent to
ham radio along with the community deed restrictions.

I wonder if it would help to do some education about how
Amateur Radio helps in disasters?

Perhaps the ARRL Division Director could make a presentation
about the benefits to a well organized Amateur community and
how Amateur can help when traditional systems fail. The cell
phone situation in California is a good example...on Sunday
through Tuesday trying to call a California cell was very
difficult.

While the DX Club has DX related activities as a primary
goal, perhaps some of our people might make effective
presentations.

I saw very effective emergency Amateur radio activities when
I was in graduate school in the mid 90s in the DFW area.
When a tornado threat appeared, an emergency network was
activated. Hams were often the first responders when a
tornado hit a community or grapefruit sized hail (yes,
GRAPEFRUIT) hit a park full of people.

Is it possible there is a hold over from CB interference
days, that Amateur Radio doesn't get a "pass" when it comes
to antenna height issues? Of course, neighbors like Mike's
lawyer neighbor think they can use the law as a sword to
attack instead of a shield to protect. Certainly there are
neighbors who do not want a 300 feet red and white cell
tower next door...but our towers are not nearly so obvious
or obtrusive.

73s,

Grant
W4OJC