[SEDXC] Wire Antennas

Hal Kennedy halken at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 20:15:23 EDT 2008

I hate to disagree - but the bottom wire can be as low as 10 feet off the
ground and a Lazy-H will work fine.  EZNEC confirms this as well as insight
if you really understand how a lazy-H works.

How they work for bottom fed:
A signal arriving from straight above hits the top wire, then the bottom
wire 180 degrees later.  The transmission line connecting the top to bottom
wires, typically open wire line that has a velocity factor of nearly 1 and
is a half wavelength long, delivers the signal from the top wire to the
bottom wire exactly out of phase, and so the antenna pattern has a very deep
null straight up.  The same is true for signals coming up from the ground.
There really are no appreciable signals coming straight up out of the
ground, but the antenna has two nulls - one straight up and the other
straight down - its symmetrical.  Therefore, the antenna tends to ignore the
ground and can be mounted very close to the ground.  When you get below
about 0.1 wavelength (12 feet at 40 meters) the bottom wire will start to
detune due to ground coupling.   For 40 meters a lazy H with the bottom wire
at 10 feet and the top at 76 feet will work great, particularly if the wires
are not dipoles but are EDZs.  Getting to 76 feet can be a problem - the
pines around here top out at about that height.

73
Hal
N4GG