[SEDXC] from Neil, V73NS...once again !

MAllphin at aol.com MAllphin at aol.com
Wed Dec 10 10:54:01 EST 2008

It seems our ISP is not allowing me to forward the email and link from  Neil,
V73NS.
So let's try this....
73, Bob-K4UEE

_http://www.pbase.com/alwayssomewhere/marshall_islands_
(http://www.pbase.com/alwayssomewhere/marshall_islands)    See the photos towards the bottom for
Day 1 and Day 2 damage.  Additional  photos will follow in the days to come.

I strong tropical depression (not  a typhoon) north of the atoll generated
swells that were 2.5 - 3 meters in  height and when we had our high tide (+1
meter) on the afternoon of 8 Dec around  0030Z the shore line could not hold back
the water. Remember, the island of  Roi-Namur sits just 2 meters above sea
level.

Typically all surf comes  from the same direction as the trade winds, out of
the NE. These waves came from  the North and Northwest and that is the worst
possible direction for them to  come from. The outer edge of the reef protects
us from the worst of the surf,  causing it to break farther out, but all that
water still has to go somewhere.

You'll see a photo of the flooding of the building which the shack was
located in. This was after the first overtopping event on Day 1. Power was still
on and it was not safe to attempt to enter the building to rescue gear. I just
held my breath and waited.

Later that night (8 Dec 1200Z) the tide was +1.25 meters and the swell had
increased to over 4 meters. The shoreline was no match for this and vast
portions of the island flooded with seawater. The ham shack is one of the lowest
buildings on the island and is located ~80 meters from the shore. The north
exterior wall of the building was pushed in by the second event and the level of
 water rose to over 2 feet. (Bottom of the top desk drawer!) The south walls
were  pushed out by the force of the water too. The shack does not occupy the
whole  building, just a space on the south side of it. The shacks northern
interior  wall held, but at this point that's all moot anyway.

It's  still standing, but not for long. Waters went down today and I was able
to  recover my station equipment which remained above water. I did lose two
50Amp  Astron's which were in the rack a foot off the ground. I also lost some
books,  manuals, cables, spare parts, 500' of RG-58, 500' of RG213 etc which
were either  in drawers or on the floor of the closet. The gear I recovered
still needs to be  tested and cleaned up. I don't look forward to the shipping
cost of 50 Amp  linear power supplies!

The three Collins 30S1 amps all were filled with water to just below the RF
decks. They are still in the shack and I hope to recover them before the
building falls. I need help and a forklift to get them to a safe place. It will
be a lot of work to restore them now. :(

The housing sing area where the  trailers are was hard hit, many off their
foundations, by the second event  and many will be condemned as a result. The
amount, and size, of rocks  carried far onto the island from the shore line is
amazing. The first event  brought many, the second filled the entire area with
rocks! There are even fish  on the middle of the golf course.

I hope to be operational from my  quarters with my vertical masting in the
next 2 days. Now is the time to start  making plans to activate from the new
building but I am sure that will be  several months from now as there is a lot of
clean up to be done here. The new  site still needs an AC unit installed.
BTW, the new site is 15 meters from the  shore line. "Are ya feelin' lucky,
punk?" This whole high surf event is very  very rare here. Some of the workers have
been here 22 years and never seen  anything like it. Kinda like the perfect
storm.

I will say one thing, the  beaches have never been so clean - just don't look
on the island, where all the  plastic, rubber, rope, fishing nets, cans and
coconit ended up. The island will  take time to recover and there will be a lof
of brown grass that died from the  saltwater. This is the start of the dry
season too, so it will look like that  for a while.

Water always wins, that's why there's a Grand  Canyon.

73
Neil
V73NS
ABM3AC