[SEDXC] Tyvek envelopes for QSLing

NN4ZZ Mail al at nn4zz.com
Thu Feb 21 07:07:06 EST 2008

Thanks to Bill for a good program on QSLing last nite.   On the topic of envelopes I was asked to put a note on the reflector about the tyvek envelopes I use.   I've been using tyvek envelopes for direct QSLs for the last 5 years or so.  I found a source for a pair that nest easily without folding the inner envelope.  The 6 x 9 size is common but it was harder to find the 5  1/2 X 7 1/2 that nests.  The price quote below is from a few years ago.

Why use tyvek?
- hard to rip apart (and pull out the $$$)
- self seal works well (not like the typical paper envelope self seals)  and can't be pulled back open
- strong and light so you can add a patch, etc without going over an ounce.
- come in plain or decorated (i.e. air mail stripes)

Why not?
- more expensive than paper
- harder to find in small quantities

Here are the ones I use....

Tyvek sub 14 plain envelopes, self seal
size: 5 1/2 X 7 1/2
quantity 500            $114.50

Tyvek plain envelopes, self seal
size: 6 X 9
quantity 500            $77.00

Here is the web site and contact info.....

http://www.capitalenvelope.com/index.html

Contact:
Jim Colaianni
PO Box 146410
1924 N. Sedgwick St.
Chicago, IL 60614-6410
Phone: (312) 335-0300
Fax:     (312) 335-0301
E-mail: capenv at aol.com

If you goolge "tyvek" you will find a lot of new sources since I last ordered 2 years ago.
73...Al