[SEDXC] Early Clipperton Operations

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 7 18:13:35 EST 2008

I was not around for the first two as I was licensed in 1957 but I have seen
some articles that leave these out.

1.  FO8AJ  1954 By Bob Dennison later W0DX and ARRL President.  Bob was
famous for using a
CW wheel made out of a thin circular saw blade.  He later used this from TG9
where he topped the ARRL Dx CW a few years later.  He lugged a Viking I and
some big receiver to Clipperton which probably weighted more than all the
K3's at Ducie plus the amps!

2.  Soon afterward the San Diego Dx Club mounted a short Dxpedition.  I
don't know much about this one.  I got my info directly from Bob on the
FO8AJ operation and he mentioned this in passing.

3.  FO8AN by the famous sailor Danny Weil, VP2VB.  Danny obtained an early
VHF license (a G7) and VP2VB was given to him by Dick KV4AA.  Danny's
operation was a short one on December 3, 1960.  The weather was rough and
Danny's new bride was on board and they were afraid of losing the anchor
chain so they sailed away.  I worked Danny on 20.

Clipperton is known for rough weather and an unsafe landing area.  I hope
the TX5C gang have good luck.

Dave K4JRB