[SEDXC] '' K5D Band-plan ?''

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Feb 22 17:14:39 EST 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 9:30 PM, k4lms at bellsouth.net wrote:

> Whoever designed K5D band-Plan put their 40 meter SSB calling freq.
> as 7.084 mHz... ??? This frequency is in the MIDDLE of the RTTY
> portion on 40 meters..??
>
> Can anyone explain this??

Simple. While the Region 2 band-plan has this portion of 40m allocated
for CW and Digital communications, most of Region 2 outside of the US
uses 7050-7100 kHz for SSB communications. This is to be in harmony
with the band-plans in place in Regions 1 and 3, which only allowed
7000-7100 kHz for the entire 40m band.

Also, in Regions 1 and 3, there are a number of powerful (eg multi-MW)
shortwave broadcast stations from 7100-7300 kHz. So, if K5D is to have
any hope of working stations in Regions 1 and 3, they have to be
somewhere where they can be heard (eg below 7100 kHz), plus they'll
have to listen where stations in Regions 1 and 3 can transmit (eg
below 7100 kHz).

Of course, all this is about to change. At the end of this month, all
of the shortwave broadcasters will have to move out of 7100-7200 kHz,
as it becomes amateur exclusive in all regions then. With a 200 kHz
worldwide band, I think you'll see more harmonization of use of the
lower portion for CW and RTTY between Regions 1 & 3 and Region 2.

Today, though, 40m is just too doggone small in Regions 1 & 3, with
100 kHz for EVERYTHING. RTTY in Regions 1 & 3 is typically below 7050
kHz, much to the dismay of many 40m CW aficionados.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901