[SEDXC] New Guy

Richard Arland richard.arland at att.net
Sat Jan 17 14:30:44 EST 2009

Hi All:

I am one of the new folks that joined SEDXC at Tech Fest 2009 last weekend.

A brief bio:

62 years old and married to Patricia (KB3MCT) for 27 years; four children (all grown---except that they keep coming back home to live!!); seven grandkids. First licensed in 1963 as KN7YHA , then K7YHA a year later and then changed to K7SZ in 1996. Ten years later I changed again to W3OSS for two years before reclaiming K7SZ a second time. The W3OSS just didn't roll right in CW and was a pain on phone.

I retired from the USAF in 1987 and from the PA Dept of Corrections (VoEd Electronics Instructor) in 2006. Pat and I moved to from Wilkes-Barre, PA to Dacula, GA in October of last  year. The cold winters aren't as much fun as they use to be!! Since 1971 I belonged to the Western Washington DX Club, which I joined as CT2BH while in the Azores (1970-73). The SEDXC is the first DX Club that I have belonged to that was easily accessible and very active. Thanks for taking me on!

Although I have worked DXCC at least three times using various calls from around the world (CT2BH, KA2AA in Japan before true recip licensing was approved, DA2NE and G3CSU) I never pursued collecting the QSLs to get the wall paper. This New Year's resolution included getting DXCC "for real" from the new QTH.

Starting in 1965 I became an avid QRPer (PLEASE....no rude comments!) and was the first (and only) QRP column editor in QST for four years (Jan 2000 to Dec 2003). I have written a total of six books on QRP, three editions of "The ARRl's Low Power Communications, the Art and Science of QRP". Over the years I have done feature articles for QST, CQ, CQ-VHF, Monitoring Times, Popular Communications and various club newsletters. Currently I write the Beginner's Column in CQ-VHF.

My main interests have always been in the HF arena, however, over the last few years and subsequently with the move to Dacula, I have had this burning desire to give VHF+ a serious try. Although a QRPer, there are several rigs in my arsenal that will do a massive 100W!! (Some of my QRP brethren have branded me a heretic, however I feel that QRP is NOT for everyone and there is nothing wrong with using high power to get the job done...after all that is why God created linear amps, right??)

My antenna farm is quite modest at present: a 40M dipole fed with 300 Ohm ladder line in the attic of my home and a dual band V/UHF J-pole for FM work. Today (Saturday, Jan 17th) I plan on erecting a trio of Halo antennas for VHF+ to cover 6, 2, and 70cms....after all there IS a VHF Sweepstakes on this weekend!! (Nothing like waiting to the last minute to get the antennas up!!)

I look forward to contributing to the SEDXC in what ever way possible. Since I am old and decrepit, I will need some help with the antennas this spring/summer....hopefully that will entail a 40-50 ft tower, HF tribander, and 5-over-5 for 2M, a 6M 3element yagi, and a 70cms yagi. Oscar antennas will follow as time and money permit.

Anyone got a Glen Martin roof tower that they want to find a good home for??

vy 73 es tnx again for welcoming me aboard.

Rich Arland, K7SZ