[SEDXC] Buying a KWM-2

Clark Macaulay clarkmacaulay at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 10:25:18 EST 2009

Folks, I'd like to tap the collective wisdom of the group regarding vintage Collins gear.

As I get older I realize that the last item I'd like to add to my station is some  Collins gear that I can operate as vintage gear.  Growing up in the 50's I remember going to sleep dreaming of a 75A4 receiver but was never able to secure one nor the S-line because of other priorities.  Last year I worked the Collins special event stations (50th anniversary of the S-line) which as rekindled my interest in having and operating something from that era.  After looking at the space available I've decided to start looking for a KWM-2.

I know that the KWM-2 is not as good a performer as some of the newer rigs.  That's not the point.  It's operating a piece of vintage gear made by Collins Radio is my goal.
Where can I go to learn more about what to look for in considering a used KMW-2? I'm not interested in a museum piiece:  I want to operate it.  At the same time I'm not interested in a fixer-upper either (I have enough proejcts to complete already).

If there is someone out there that is considering selling their KWM-2 I'd be interested in chatting with you.

Feel free to contact me on list with any comments you may have, and thanks!

73 de Clark/ke4rq