[SEDXC] Tower tragedy

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Jul 25 07:54:08 PDT 2009

On Jul 18, 2009, at 6:16 PM, John Harden, D.M.D. wrote:

> The correct name for the "gorilla clip" is carabiner as in mountain
> climbing
>
> http://www.acmeclimbing.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=95

All of the carabiners on this page are the single-gate variety which I
would deem as unsafe for tower work. You want double-gated clips that
are far more substantial.

I purchased my tower climbing gear from Champion Radio Products. Each
clip is double-gated and work-rated for 5000 lbs. I climb with a fall-
arrest lanyard, a short 3 foot lanyard, and an adjustable positioning
belt.
http://www.championradio.com/safety.html

Carabiners may be fine for mountain-climbing, where weight is a
factor, but safety should come first in tower climbing.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901