[SEDXC] How to Check for Cluster Spots

Don Nesbitt n4hh at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 14 09:39:19 PDT 2009

I'm guessing that most of our members have been doing this for years - but - just in case someone is curious, here are a couple of ways to see if the station (or country) you are looking for has been "spotted."

VE7CC:

If you are running Ve7cc software (free at:  http://www.ve7cc.net/) it's a simple matter to see if the station of interest has been spotted.  The very bottom of the screen contains a "Command" line where cluster commands may be entered - sort of like entering DOS commands.  The command is SH/DX (followed by a space) and the call sign of interest.  Example:

SH/DX TI7/K4SSU  This translates into "show me dx spots for TI7/K4SSU"

sh/dx ti7  This translates into "show me dx spots for anyone who is ti7"

Note that the command syntax is NOT case sensitive.

If there are spots, they will show in the DX TAB window and in the "raw text" window in the top window.

If you are REALLY interested in learning more about cluster commands, see:  http://www.k8smc.com/  and click on "CCC Commands."

Of course, using Ve7cc software, you can also set alarms, etc. but this search or "show" will give you a quick look at whether or not your station of interest has been reported.  Of course, they could be on and no one has spotted them!

DX SUMMIT:

This does not require that any software be loaded on your computer.  You just go to their search web site at:  http://www.dxsummit.fi/Search.aspx
and type in the call of the station or country of interest.  Again, the search is NOT case sensitive.  TI7/K4SSU will return the same search data as ti7/k4ssu.

Of course, there are many more search opportunities.  These are the two that I use most frequently.  Over the years, using them has allowed me to not only see if someone has been recently spotted but, and perhaps more importantly, to look for an operating pattern for a particular station or country.

Now, let's see if Dave has been spotted!  '73 es gud dxing -- Don N4HH