[SEDXC] W4WKP

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Nov 9 10:28:37 PST 2009

Thanks to several for the info on Johnny.  I have known Johnny since
1955.  My father took me by his house when we were in Atlanta for the
Atlanta Hamfest that June.  I was licensed in 1954 at age 12 and Johnny
had been licensed since 1952 at an even younger age, so I was a little
older.  Johnny attended Mercer University in Macon a few years after I
had started there.  At one time he was a stalwart on the GSN, typing his
messages on a brail typewriter.  He operated from the dormitory at
Mercer and had quite a nice signal as opposed to K4QPL and K4BAI's
signal from a Globe Scout using a window screen or the bed springs as an
antenna.  Later, he sold ham gear and I bought my first two meter FM rig
from him at a Columbus ham fest.  In between, he had graduated from a
law school in Atlanta.

I also pray for him and hope for a recovery, even if it will take a
miracle.

73, John, K4BAI.