[SEDXC] FT5GA on 17 and 20 Sunday afternoon

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 20 15:04:13 PDT 2009

FT5GA had a S5 signal on 14299 (later 14300) about 1900 Z listening up on
14307.  I heard them work several W4's.

They were also on 18138 but there some strange conditions there.  I posted
on eHam at 1830 or so that the signals were ESP at my QTH. Most of the
stations seemed to be West Coast so I assume long path or just skipping
over. At the same time 4X4FR was S9 on 18161.   I left the RX on their
frequency but at 1905Z a thunderstorm passed nearby over the river between
North Fulton and Gwinnett.  After a second close lightening strike I turned
off the rig.  By 1925Z I turned the transceiver back on and they were
between 3/3 and 4/4.  I head them work N6CR and W4ETN.  They peaked S5 while
working K4RWM.  I called several times with 100 watts always locating the
station they had just worked and calling just above that.  They faded to 3/3
while working W5IZ at about 1940Z and apparently QSYed somewhere else.

Disaster struck on 14300 as a net came on and despite two VE's telling the
net control that FT5GA was using the frequency he just ignored them by
saying the net is on each day almost saying they owned the frequency.  S5
cannot compete with S9++.  I thought they might move to 14195 or 242
but instead they moved to 7002.

They were really trying to work NA.  I think they just don't know what to do
with poor conditions.  They should overcome the current problems and work a
lot of USA between now and Oct 10th.  And if you hear them on 12 meters let
me know as I need them there!

Dave K4JRB