[SEDXC] Fw: ZS8M

Dave Johnson jdavid1 at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 26 15:42:16 PDT 2010

Here is a email from a friend in South Africa that may intrest some.

Dave - K4SSU

Hi Dave

Hope u well.  Just for your info..Pierre ZS1HF is now on Marion Island.  I have spoken to him on 20m and 40m.  He is currently signing ZS8/ZS1HF until 12 May 2010.  He is just waiting for the re-supply ship, the SA Aughulas to leave and then he will be using ZS8M.  He is using the opportunity to set up antennas etc.  I am not sure what antennas he will be using, but it wont be yagi type antennas due to antenna restrictions imposed by the government ... due to the island being a reserve and the tree huggers worrying about the bird life.  The weather will also be a factor due to the prevailing winds that tend to blow any antennas to pieces.  I am hoping he will be erecting some vertical antennas..I know he was trying to get hold of a SteppIR vertical.  He has a Icom Transceiver (not sure what model) and an amp capable of running about 500 watts I believe.  I am now also in touch with him on Skype.

I will keep you informed.

73

John ZS4S