[SEDXC] Cleaning large, multi-ganged veriable capacitors

Rich Arland k7sz at live.com
Wed Apr 28 17:32:30 PDT 2010

Hi Gang:

does anyone know of a good, inexpensive way to clean up old 365 pf and 450 pf multi-ganged variable caps? I have a couple that I want to use in my new ATU and need some info on how to get rid of all the gunk on the caps. Looks like they've been in storage for a long, long time. Lots of crud all over the stator & rotor plates. Bearings are sticky.

I had thought of using an alcohol bath in an ultrasonic cleaner. Unfortunately I don;t have an ultrasonic unit.

Any one have an idea??

VY 73 es GUD DX!

Rich Arland, K7SZ
Bent Dipole Ranch
Dacula, GA

Cogito Ergo CQ! (I Think Therefore I Ham!)
(With apologies to Rene Descartes, 1596 to 1650)