[SEDXC] Antenna Analyzer Recommendations

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Mon May 17 19:10:35 PDT 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 1:46 PM, Clark Macaulay wrote:

> I typically run <100W (and QRP) so antenna efficiency is really important to
> me. My MFJ-259 is a fine piece of gear except it doesn't tell me the complex
> impedance so I can design the right feed system.  I have a vertical that I
> want to use only on 80m and need to design a different coil for matching.
> It does me no good to know the SWR is high.  I know I need more inductance
> and would rather not use the trial-and-error method. Thus I'm looking to
> replace the MFJ while at Dayton this year.

The trial and error method can work OK. I built 80m and 160m matching networks using this method for my shunt-fed tower.

The MFJ-259 does more than then you the SWR is high. You can also move the frequency around and see what that does to the SWR.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901