[SEDXC] Press release from PJ6A on Saba

Ralph K1ZZI k1zzi at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 12:57:06 PDT 2010

  FYI....  I believe this was released today.

  73, Ralph K1ZZI

  We thought it was about time to update the DX world re life on Saba.

  As you can tell from spot activity, we have all three stations running nicely.  We're running 100w and wire antennas only except for using an amplifier on 160m.  Because of our terrific locations and take-off angles (500-700' above the sea) we think our largely barefoot operation is going well.

  All stations are running operator-loaned K3s.  Station 1 is located in a two-bedroom rental cottage while Stations 2 & 3 are located in an under-construction home several months from completion; a bit rugged.  There is no air conditioning anywhere (whew!) but we've become acclimated.    Our three locations are only 5-10 minutes apart.

  Sleeping accommodations include two cottages at The Cottage Club (also not air conditioned) and scattered bedding at the other two locations.  No one "owns" a bed; we use whatever is empty when crash-time happens.  The guys are mostly clean.  Mostly.

  One of the challenges is moving between the locations on "The Road" (the only road on Saba which is pretty treacherous; we hope to have a video of the Road on our website (www.pj6a.com) next week).

  At this time we're at 16,642 Qs via LogSearch uploads daily.  We think that's pretty good for barefoot and wire antennas. The agreed-to PJ Operations Band Plan is working well and we've had no interference from or with the other DXpeditions in the area.

  The wall of sound that you've heard of all your life is very real.  We make special effort to pull out  the weaker signals so everyone gets a chance at working Saba.  And we still have nine more days to go!

  Casualties so far were heat exhaustion for one of us and a centipede bite on the thumb for another.

  A bit about Saba and The Road.  The rental cars are tiny, but they must be to navigate The Road semi-safely.  Everyone (and that's everyone) waves to everyone else from cars, rooftops, streets, bars and so forth.  Sabans are REALLY friendly.

  We're having a great time; all the members of PJ6A Team Week 1 (nine of us) are working hard to give you Qs from Saba.   CU in the pileups!

  Team Saba 2010 PJ6A