[SEDXC] PJ status

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Oct 19 05:48:48 PDT 2010

On Oct 18, 2010, at 9:49 PM, Jim Nail wrote:

> Agreed Bill! It has been fun working all the different islands. Ive counted 33 of the 64 band mode (CW & SSB only) combinations excluding the top band cuz no antenna here. No real ant for 10 Mhz either but 3.5 Mhz dipole loads ok with the inboard tuner on this FT-2000. I need to put up the 500+ ft W7FB loop for 160! I guess I could also load this tower up on 160.  I'd need to read up on the proper technique for that on the W8JI site! Fun never the less. Jim WA2MBP

Jim, I've got 160m WAS and 25 countries confirmed on 160m, all by shunt-loading a 15m (almost 50 feet) tall tower. (and the matching network arcs over at more than 100 watts, so that's all I run on 160m)

An inverted-L will serve you just as well and will take up far less real estate than the 500+ foot horizontal loop. It also requires one support, not three or four.

Just be sure to put down lots of radials.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
Web: http://boringhamradiopart.blogspot.com
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901