[SEDXC] ATTN: Huntsville Hamfest Contest Attendees

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Mon Aug 15 10:12:03 PDT 2011

Jeff, KU8E, and I have been discussing purchasing some reconditioned
computers with parallel and serial ports (at least one of each) that we
could use from the Bonaire contest station that we rent.  That would
enable us to use NA or CTWIN, very stable and reliable logging programs
and would avoid some of the many problems we have had trying to use
Writelog or N1MM.

There is usually a computer reconditioner at Huntsville who sells
computers like that.  I would prefer Dell computers with the required
ports allegedly working and with a fairly readable display.  I purchased
one a few years ago for $68.00, but it stopped booting up after about
six months.

I would be interested in buying three or four and paying probably not
more than $150.00.  They can have Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows
XP as operating systems.  Actually, I guess they should have Windows
2000 or Windows XP and we could split the drive and add Windows 98 if we
wanted to use it with NA, although NA may do OK in 2000.

Jeff and I will be doing the NAQP SSB from WW4LL as M/2 and will miss
the HVL hamfest this year.  ACG has a terrific contest forum planned.

Naturally, someone who lives in or not too far from Columbus or who
visits this area with some regularity would be ideal.  I will send a
check in advance and anything left over can be refunded after you know
the exact toll.

Thanks for your help.  73, John, K4BAI.