[SEDXC] FW: [PVRC] Join the Fight to Retain the 420-440 MHz Band --- Its Easy!

Robert Carroll w2wg at comcast.net
Wed Feb 23 10:51:15 PST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: pvrc-bounces at mailman.qth.net [mailto:pvrc-bounces at mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of donovanf at starpower.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 1:23 PM
To: PVRC; Reflector PVRCNC
Subject: [PVRC] Join the Fight to Retain the 420-440 MHz Band --- Its Easy!

On February 10, 2011, Rep. Peter King (R-NY), Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, introduced H.R. 607, the “Broadband for First Responders Act of 2011,” which has been referred to the House Energy and Commerce Committee (which handles telecommunications legislation).  The bill addresses certain spectrum management issues including the creation and maintenance of a nationwide Public Safety broadband network.

As part of that network, the Bill provides for the allocation of the so-called “D-Block” of spectrum in the 700 MHz range for Public Safety use.HR 607 uniquely, provides for the reallocation of other spectrum for auction to commercial users, in order to offset the loss of revenue that would occur as the result of the allocation of the D-Block to Public Safety instead of commercial auction.  H.R. 607 lists, among the bands to be reallocated for commercial auction within ten years of the passage of the Bill, the paired bands 420-440 MHz and 450-470 MHz.

The inclusion of most of the Amateur 70-cm spectrum as one of the replacement bands is a major problem. The 420-440 MHz band is not Public Safety spectrum and should not be included in any spectrum swap of Public Safety allocations

You will find resource tools to assist you in your letter writing at:
http://www.arrl.org/sample-letters

These include:
 - a Microsoft Word sample letter opposing HR 607 in its current form. It takes only a minute to insert your Representative's name and your name in the Word document.

 - a link to the ARRL Webpage that gives the name and address for your Representative (this is needed in the letter)

 - a link to information sending your letter to the ARRL's Washington lobbyist to hand-deliver to Capitol Hill.

A couple of key points to remember when discussing our opposition to HR607:

We understand and support the principle that Public Safety and First responders should have the D-Block frequencies. Our opposition to the bill stems from the inclusion of the 420-440 MHZ Amateur allocation as part of the proposed "frequency swap"

Time is of the essence on this request, as the bill is gathering steam in Congress. Once you have finished editing your letter, we request that you send it to our Washington representative at Chwat & Co. This allows your SIGNED letter to be hand-delivered.

FAX 703-684-7594

or scan your SIGNED letter and email it to arrl at chwatco.com

73
Frank