[SEDXC] K0K special event - Coke's 125 Anniversary

Dick Bentley k2uft at yahoo.com
Fri May 6 21:10:11 PDT 2011

Forwarding message from KD4UKW.  In celebration of the 125th Anniversary, K0K
will be activated from the World of Coke in Downtown Atlanta.  Look for us on
 7050 & 14045 CW, 7250 & 14260 SSB. Starting at 9 AM Saturday thru 8 PM
Saturday. QSL per instructions on QRZ.com page for K0NWT,

73  Dick K2UFT

From: Andy Dickerson kd4ukw at gmail.com

Hello all,

Following up on Jim's message, here is the information that's going out to
multiple groups such as QRP-L, Flying Piggies, 4 state QRP, etc.
I am cross-posting this message to multiple groups, so I apologize if you
receive it more than once.

This weekend Coca-Cola will celebrate its 125th anniversary.  On 8 May 1886
Jacobs' Pharmacy in Atlanta, Georgia, began mixing Dr. John Pemberton's syrup
with carbonated water at a price of 5 cents per glass.

Newton White, K0NWT, a longtime Coke employee, has organized an amateur radio
event to commemorate the anniversary.  Newt convinced Coca-Cola to provide a
special QSL card, and a group of Atlanta-area amateurs will operate from
the World of Coca-Cola museum during the headquarters celebration party.

The K0K special-event callsign will be in operation from 0000Z Friday through
0000Z Sunday (Thursday evening through Saturday evening, local time).  There are
two phases:

1) Prior to Saturday's party, a group of Atlanta-area QRPers will use the K0K
callsign from their home or portable stations.  We will use qrpspots.com to
announce our presence.  Operating frequencies could be on any band.  The
duration of the "pre-party" is from 0000Z Friday through 1200Z Saturday.  These
contacts will qualify for the special QSL card.

2) The "main event" at the World of Coca-Cola will run from 1200Z to 2359Z on
Saturday.  Newt hopes to have four stations running throughout the day.  The
primary emphasis will be on these frequencies, +/- as conditions dictate:
CW:  7.050, 14.045
Phone:  7.250, 14.260

If we are able to operate on additional bands, our target frequencies are:
CW:  3.545, 21.045, 28.045
Phone:  3.810, 21.30, 28.450

We look forward to working as many stations as possible.  The QSL card will be a
very "limited edition" piece of Coca-Cola memorabilia.  The operating station on
Saturday will be in front of the museum where hundreds of Coke employees and
their guests will see our hobby at work.  We will have extra hands on deck for
educational outreach.

The main event stations will operate QRO but will certainly try to work QRP
stations whenever we can hear them!

72 and have fun,
Andy KD4UKW
Messages in this topic (1)