[SEDXC] Announcement: Thursday Night 40M Fox Hunt

John T. Laney III k4bai at att.net
Wed Mar 7 05:44:05 PST 2012

Hello all:  I will be one of your QRP Foxes Thursday night, 0200-0330Z
(Friday UTC) somewhere between 7030 and 7050 kHz.  Al, K2ZN, in NY will
be the other Fox.  We will be running 5W, of course.  I will be using a
coax fed half wave 40M dipole up about 50 feet and running north and
south, so it will favor east and west, but is a pretty good all over
antenna.  I will start out split listening up and will indicate that by
sending "UP" at the end of the FOX call.  When the pileup diminishes, I
will be listening on my own frequency and will stop sending "UP."  I
will be giving "real" RST reports.  Transceiver will be an FT1000MP
running at 5W as measured on the WM-2 QRP Watt Meter. My logging
computer is out so I will be logging on paper and that means I may be a
bit slower and will have to be very careful in transcription to a log
report that will be posted on the QRP Fox Hunt Reflector.  I will be
able to use a memory keyer.  Callers should be running 5W or less.  I
hope you can all work both foxes Thursday, but know that closer in
stations may have trouble due to the skip usually found on 40M.
However, at about the same time in the ARS Spartan Sprint on 40M this
Monday night, I was able to work stations in AL, FL, and NC.  Best
chance is at the beginning of the period, which is 0200 to 0330Z.
However, don't give up, as skip often shortens up toward the end of the
period.  Exchange is RST, SPC, Name, and power and you can  work only
the two Foxes.

73, John, K4BAI.