[SEDXC] [SECC] Headsets...

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 29 12:16:15 EDT 2012

I have 3 Heil Boom mic sets.  2 Are BM-10's one with HC-4 element and one
with HC-5 element.  I also have a Pro micro with the HC-4 element. I feel
that a mic should fit your voice style and the transceiver audio. My old
Yaesu's like the HC-4 element with the RF processor set at 1PM.  I tried the
HC-4 on a newer FT-920 that I had and I tried to use the equalizer set on
what Yaesu said was the Dx audio position.  K4EA broke in (on 6 meters) and
told me I sounded tinty and thin.  On the Yaesu reflector a noted K0
Contester said to cut off the equalizer and add a litle bass to the audio.
K4EA said it now sounded terrific with plenty of punch.

With my older Icom that I have used on 17 and 12 mainly I use a BM-10 with
the HC-5 element and with that rig and my voice the HC-5 seems ideal.  The
Heil needs help from a pre-amp to fully modulate the Icom so I run it
through an old Nel-Tech DVK with pre-amp on about 60%.  I get good audio
reports.  I tried a Telex ProCom 200 with a small processor in the line but
I was told the audio was to flat.  The same Telex mic worked great with the
FT-920 with no bass added or eualizer on.

The goal of finding the right mic and audio is essential to both Contesting
and Dxing.  The HC-4 puts the audio in one spot and makes you loud.  I use a
scope and the audio monitor to make sure its correct.  My goal is always to
set it and forget it.  I did have a Kenwood with the MC-50 and this was a
great combination
but at first I set the Kenwood audio too high although it looked good on the
scope.  I called a MI0 on 12 and he said my audio was so loud that his
speaker slid on the table.  I cut the audio down and he said I was still
great but the audio was more under control.  The MC-50 mic is like the older
dynamic mics with too much ouput certainly more than  is needed.  Another
reason for a phone op to never buy a rig without a voice monitor.

73 Dave K4JRB