[SEDXC] Looks Like 9M4SLL is QRT

n4xp at juno.com n4xp at juno.com
Sun Mar 17 20:54:47 EDT 2013

Well...my ole buddy from Maaa com beat me to it.  Paul and I were
together on Spratly for almost 2 weeks.  I can assure you he was polite
in his response as to operating from Spratly.

It is not only a Black Hole, it is also as far as I am concerned the end
of this earth.   Not only was radio near impossible, the heat was over
100 degrees each day allowing outside time only for a few minutes at a
time.  Antenna erection had to be in short shifts and took forever.  Then
add to that the nearest tree is in Singapore so you work with what is
there, nothing!

Now for radio, try hearing through fishing buoys and fishing boats
screaming in who knows what language on all freqs using ham radios for
commo everywhere you tuned.   If you were successful then you had to
listen to the island power generator 24 hours a day.  And don't even
think about good results on 80 and 160, it just was not easy.

I am not privy to how they did overall but from what I heard in general
EU faired much better then we did.   In NA South East did not seem to do
well while the North East and Mid West to West did very well.

Now they are tearing down in the heat Paul knows so well,  I hope they do
so safely and without incident.

73

Tom  N4XP