[SEDXC] Why so little SSB

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 23 21:24:13 EDT 2013

More and more of the DXpeditions are CW only and if SSB is planned the time
must be split with RTTY or PSK.

One of the consequences of my stroke I had in late 1998 was a difficulty
copying CW.  The CW all ran together and just a minute or so put in position
to have a audio or visual seizure.  Reluctantly I was forced to give up CW
even my chasing DX on 160.

So the lack of SSB DX is becoming noticeable on the bands.  Even normal DX
spots on say 17 and 12 can run for hours with no SSB spotted.  And then it
is more of the garden variety DX such as LU. PY or Europe.

Amateur radio must beware as most of the new hams are emcomm types and none
have any CW knowledge.  Look at the daily listing on WM7D.net and look at
the numbers of new hams who are no code and few of them are General Class.
I am afraid most will be shack on a belt types.  The types we get interested
in Dx will not buy many HF transceivers if Dx is scarce on SSB.  Maybe some
will join me on HF digital.

Just my two cents worth.

Dave K4JRB