[SEDXC] REMOTE OPERATION

Mike Greenway K4PI at BELLSOUTH.NET
Wed Nov 6 09:41:45 EST 2013

Seems the subject of remote stations keeps coming up in regard to DXCC and other awards .  I wrote K4MQG, our DXAC rep for this area, about my thoughts and he said they were drafting something to submit to ARRL.  At one time there were some mileage rules with DXCC but with everyone moving around they dropped that requirement and now you only have to be in the country you are licensed for a QSO to be accepted by DXCC.  Being able to use remote stations on both coast of the USA does not seem fair in regard to award chasing.

My thoughts are to bring a mileage limit back in for remote and fixed.  Say 250 miles from your FCC station address. I am not particular on this limit, could be less or more but not 2,500 miles like we have now.  If you move to another QTH area and change your FCC address you can still carry what your totals with you but the mileage limit would apply to the new address for anything worked going forward.  I don’t see where there would be any objections to this.  You would always be able to carry your totals with you. For VUCC all QSO’s must be within
50 KM.

I am not against remote stations, just ones that gain an unfair advantage propagation wise by using remotes all over the USA.

Gary said ARRL did not always accept their proposals so maybe a note to K1ZZ might help.

73 Mike K4PI