[SEDXC] BAND TODAY

Mike Greenway K4PI at BELLSOUTH.NET
Wed Nov 20 09:46:27 EST 2013

S21ZBC doing a good job on several bands..  20 CW Short path around 12:15, 17 M RTTY via Long Path, 12:52.  They were on 15 SSB Long path at 12:29 and 12 SSB at 12:58.  a couple of the bands they were asking for NA only so giving us a good shot here in the mornings.

VU7AG showed up on 12 SSB but signals were very weak via Long Path.  A few USA in the northeast got through before they faded and switched to EU.

Worked 3A2MW on 12 M CW via long path.  Most of the time I have worked 3A it has been via long path due to the mountains that block 3A toward USA short path.

Today was one of those strange days where on you can hear your own signal come back around long path during the morning hours.  This is due to us having long and short paths to EU.  The higher bands work the best ie 10,12,15.  I could still hear it on 17 also this morning but 20 was the weakest. When on SSB and you let off the mic you will hear the last syllable of yourself in an echo.  Also works on CW if you set your delay very short so the rig recovers quickly.  Send a dit and you will hear it in the receiver when it recovers.  I have seen this many times in the past always during high sunspot counts and disturbed conditions.  If you have a beam turn to EU or LP Eu and give it a try..  The strength will be different each time you try it.. Some are returns are stronger than other.. Some are 55.  Even at 100 watts I can hear it but getting below that it is harder.  Also you probably need a beam.  If you are using a dipole or vertical in these conditions there will be a lot of echo on some of the stations due to you hearing the LP and SP signal with LP being delayed just a fraction.  I have had occasions where I use a dipole on 30 M, the echo was so bad on CW you could not copy some stations and only going to a directional receiving beverage could you copy them.

Great conditions still with us so enjoy them..