[SEDXC] DXAC PROPOSED CHANGES

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Thu Aug 14 10:58:56 EDT 2014

I can see allowing a ham to operate *his own "home station"* remotely
from anywhere in his DXCC country.  There are an increasing number of
W2/W3/W8/W9/W0 licensees who remotely operate their home station from
a condo/trailer in Florida during the winter and/or folks who travel
on business who operate their home station from a hotel room on the
road.  I don't know that denying them the opportunity to participate
in DXCC when they are away from home is necessarily a good thing.

However, operating multiple remote stations located in geographically
advantageous locations is certainly "beyond the pale".  A 100 or 200
km limitation is certainly appropriate when the station is not the
individual's home station (licensed location) or within 100 km of
the "licensed location" if the license specifies a PO Box, office
address, a HOA limited community, etc.

Another appropriate limitation is a minimum duration for portable
operations.  For example, I don't necessarily think that it would be
appropriate to take a week's vacation at a well equipped station in
Western Washington during a P5/BS7H/BV9P DXpedition <G> either.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV

On 2014-08-14 10:31 AM, k4hb via SEDXC wrote:

> Absolutely Mike, either QSO via the airways for awards or communicate
> via the internet as we are doing now. If a contact involves wires,
> fiber optics, satellite uplinks/downlinks, or whatever telephone or
> internet services use, it ain't ham radio in my humble opinion. Like
> you, I have no problem with how people operate remote if it's for
> contacts that don't involve awards. I touch briefly on the subject
> here, and also mention the unfair advantage with these East and West
> Coast remote contest contacts, or any contacts that involve working
> toward awards.  http://www.k4hb.com/method.html
>
> 200KM (124 miles) is certainly a step in the right direction, but
> 100KM (62 miles) is better.
>
> As for the other proposals, here's my take. I'm for keeping the
> entity/country criteria the same, which is not to change the UN
> approval and ITU prefix requirements. I worked a couple of the Z6s
> and have the cards. They are nice cards, but of course useless for
> DXCC. If Kosovo is approved, I'll try to work them again. I'm also
> for not deleting anything on the current list. I still need 4, which
> are the BS rocks, P5, KP1, and Crozet. Don't want ARRL deleting my
> way to #1, I want to achieve the goal by traveling the same rocky
> road as many before me, or go SK trying.
>

> 73, Hal K4HB http://www.k4hb.com http://www.k4hb.com/postage
> http://www.k4hb.com/redneck
>
> (\____/) / ¤ _ ¤ \ (   (oo)   ) \-..~~.-/ DX Pig Oink Oink

> Greenway <K4PI at BELLSOUTH.NET> wrote:
>
> Subject: [SEDXC] DXAC PROPOSED CHANGES To: "SEDXC"
> <sedxc at contesting.com> Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2014, 7:27 PM
>
> DXAC has some new proposals on the table you might like to read.
> http://www.arrl.org/files/file/About%20ARRL/Committee%20Reports/2014/July/Doc_27.pdf

The one of most interest to me was regarding remote station