[SEDXC] Ground rods

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed May 14 11:31:20 EDT 2014

Rent a trencher of some type and bury wire. Don't fret too much about
getting 8 ft in the ground. Ground rods are about useless anyway in strikes,
especially in poor soil,  unless you have a multitude of them spaced some
distance apart.

Almost all of equipment damage prevention is in the wiring, in particular
the building entrance wiring of cables and connecting it to the mains ground
properly.

I've got 300 ft towers and 200ft towers, take dozens of hits a year, and
never have damage. I think the deepest rods I have are about four foot. I
depend on buried wire for grounding. My 318 ft tower has six 4-5 ft deep
rods at the corners of the base screen. A buss runs around them. Then #6
bare solid copper deep buried (two ft) extends out for 50-75 feet. There are
some smaller gauge radials close to the surface.