[SEDXC] is list very quiet or am I no longer subscribed?

Frank T Brady franktbrady at comcast.net
Thu Nov 6 18:35:46 EST 2014

Ok - I'm still subscribed (I confused the two reflectors), but I'm going
to try SEDXC first anyway - so here goes.

I've recently moved from an apt to a house on a lot with (many) tall
trees so I could have an outdoor antenna.

I chose a 135 ft doublet fed with 600 ohm open line to eliminate the
weather variations I had with a doublet I fed with window line.  I also
wanted to try my variable feedline length relay system originally built
for my old window line fed doublet in order to select the optimum
feedline length for each of the 80 thru 10 bands.  My hope was that
narrowing down the width of my 600 ohm line as it passes through the
relays would be such a short distance, relatively speaking, that it
wouldn't cause any serious problems.  I also had to 'droop' 20' of wire
at each end of the 135' flattop due to space limitations (80m is very
important to me as I only need 11 countries to get 8bdxcc).

The system (sorta) works - the relay system and control software finds
and switches in the correct feedline segment lengths to get good swr on
all bands.  *However* - I noticed wierd stray RF problems on some bands
and when I took a field strength meter out to the antenna area, I found
that the meter pegs when I get it within a few feet of the feedline.  I
also peg the meter when I put it near my TV cable on the outside of the
house - which is within a few feet of my feedline for a short distance.
I don't know whether or not such a measurement meaningfully indicates
unwanted feedline radiation but it sure doesn't seem right, and I do
have lots of RF everywhere.

Well hopefully that description is an adequate starting point for
discussion if anyone would care to comment.  If this list is
inappropriate, I understand and will post it on the Antenna reflector.

Tx and 73
Frank w0ecs