[SEDXC] tree climber - wire antenna installation help

Frank T Brady franktbrady at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 12:42:46 EDT 2014

UPDATE:
Again, thanks to SEDXC and all of the help offers I received.  The 135'
doublet is up - Robert Miller was reasonable and fast.  I'm still
cleaning up from all the necessary tree trimming.  It turned out that
the longest route for the flattop was about 98', so I had to vertically
droop 20' of wire at each end to accommodate the 135' antenna.

IMPLEMENTATION:
After several frustrating weeks trimming the 600 ohm feedline length
without being able to tune all 80 through 10 bands, I was forced to
resurrect a system of six relays I once used to physically insert
segment(s) of feedline to add up to the exact feedline length for each
band.  I originally built it for 450 ohm feedlines.  Converting it from
narrow 450 ohm window line to the wide spaced 600 ohm line took up so
much space I had to put it in the garage and remotely control the relays
from the 2nd floor shack.  It now works like a charm!

QUESTION:
I haven't been able to hear even a hint of signal from the VK9XSP
Christmas Island expedition.  Could part of the problem be that the
antenna is only up 30'?  I can get Robert to raise it another 20' with
significant additional tree trimming.  Before I go to the trouble, does
anyone know from their own experience that raising a wire antenna from
30' to 50' really helps?  I'm also aware of the complicated multiple
lobe radiation patterns for multi-band wire antennas.  Maybe I have a
deep null at the VK9XSP bearing - I'll never know.

73,
Frank W0ECS