[SEDXC] K1N

Lee Hiers lee.hiers at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 10:11:06 EST 2015

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 7:36 AM, Charles Pennington via SEDXC
<sedxc at contesting.com> wrote:

> Before the K1N operation I checked my QSL file to make sure what bands/modes were needed for ATNO's by me.  I was active during the glory days of Navassa where several operations allowed easy QSO's.  All of these Q's were during the 1960's and 70's.  I find QSL's for 10SSB, 15SSB, 40CW, and 80SSB in my QSL file.

If you have them confirmed, then isn't it impossible for a QSO with
them to be an "ATNO"?  A new band-country maybe, but not an ATNO.

> I must be the only person honoring the KP1/KP5 Team request for only ATNO's.  ??????

I would say you're not honoring that request...but then again, I don't
see that they've made that request.

I "started over" with my own personal DX chasing about 4 years ago
after a period of inactivity.  When I started over, I made a decision
to operate only QRP, and have been re-working everything QRP.  I also
only operate CW these days...any phone would be extremely rare, and I
certainly don't collect phone countries.   In the case of KP1, I have
a confirmed contact with them from the 70s or 80s.  I don't know where
the card is, but I'm 95% sure it's for a phone contact, but I don't
know what band it was.  For me, technically no QSO with K1N could be
an "ATNO".

But, for the K1N expedition, I've worked them on 20m, 12m, 80m, and
40m, all CW, all at 5 watts.  20m was my initial QSO, and just
happened to be where I was first able to work them.  12m was a backup.
80 and 40 were later, and desired simply to get 100 countries on each
of those bands - and running 5 watts with my antenna, it's easier to
work a Caribbean station than more distant DX.  I'm not trying to get
Navassa on every band possible.  I would like three more QSOs, but
highly doubt I'll make them...I'm really only trying one:  30m at 1
watt, 6m, and 160m.  All three for the same reason - proximity.

I don't feel bad that I've made 4 QSOs with them so far, and wouldn't
feel bad if that total increased to 7.  But each of those QSOs has a
"reason", and I'm not out there working them just because I can.  And
maybe that's the difference.

In the end though, we all employ our own situational ethics and apply
them to our actions so that we're comfortable with our choices, eh?

73 - good DX!

Lee
--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA