[SEDXC] October CQ articles

Dave Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 7 14:48:38 EDT 2015

 My October CQ Hard Copy arrived Monday and there are two articles that SEDXC members should read.

Ed W4YO who was a member for years before retiring to the South Carolina Coast has another great article on rare islands in the Southern Hemisphere.  I looked and I have 4 different QSLS from Bouvet including the Gus Browning LH4C in 1962.  I have a number of QSLs from FB8XX and FB8ZZ and the newer FT call signs.  I have a FT1XI from 10 meters which is still a rare one.  I have several FT8W QSLs, A ZS2MI from Marion Island on 2 way AM from 1960.  I have it confirmed on 40 to 10 including 17 and 12 mainly thanks to Chris ZS8CI now in ZS6.  Heard Island was a tough one for me as I was without antennas when the 1970 operation was on. I did work VK0HI easy enough.  I listened for them on 20 SSB but passed up a 20 over 9 voice I assumed was VK long path or maybe ZS short path.  It was Jim Smith VK9NS and worked first call when I finally realized who it was.  It took me to the second recent Heard Island Dxpedition to get it on 10 as they had a commercial station on the Island that was gone years later.  W4YO also covered Peter I operations.

A funny story involved K4RPK (SK) and Heard Island. He worked VK0HI for his last DXCC entity but later discovered the VK0 card from 1970 was Heard NOT McQuarie as he thought. McQuarie is rare enough.

The second article is part 2 of the Don Miller W9WNV interview.  First, Don has a AI6 call and the W9WNV is a club call that he is finally custodian for.
The second he was a great operator BUT he operated from Places he never went near Laccadives, Heard, St. Peter and Paul's Rocks and was run off Navassa by the Coast Guard.  Even worse he developed a baddie list of hams he would not work and that included my old friend Bob W5CKY later W5AO.  WB4ZNH has a group of QSL cards in a hanging set that included many from Don.  Ask Carl about that group.

W4YO has done a great group of articles in the past couple of Years on DX locations and their History.  Required reading for active Dxers.

73 Dave K4JRB