[SEDXC] K5P/VP8STI

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Mon Jan 18 20:00:24 EST 2016

I got up at 6:30 AM and stayed up past 7:30 AM and had no QSOs. Couldn't
hear K5P on 80, but there were stations calling him and apparently
working him.  On 30M, the signal was weak, but I kept waiting for the
sun rise bump up in signal on 80 and 30 and it didn't happen on either.
Went back and worked them on 30M at 1425Z.  Their signal by then was
about 559.  Had a work holiday today, so spent a lot of time looking at
spots for both DXpeditions and calling when I could hear them.  Was late
afternoon before I could hear VP8STI clearly on 17 CW.  Many calls, but
no QSO.  VP8STI was spotted on 12 CW and SSB, but I couldn't hear them
here.  K5P was spotted on 10 CW even by K4NV, but I couldn't hear them
on that band.  Did work K5P on 20M SSB at 2048Z.  14250 QSX up.  At
2333Z called first time on 20 CW for VP8STI and got them on the first
call. Op was old buddy from Bonaire trips, N4RR, Roger.  At 2341Z, got
VP8STI on 30 CW.  Very good CW op despite a lot of QRM on his transmit
frequency.  VP8STI was very strong on 20 SSB (14185 QSX up) between 2330
and 0000Z tonight and he worked a lot of stations, but I didn't work
him. At least I don't think I did.  His accent was hard for me to
understand.  Didn't log him anyway, so no QSO on that band yet.

Did find Baldur, DJ6SI, on 7005 kHz as 5V7BD in Togo, I think.  He was
working stations simplex.  Will be out of town from Tuesday morning
until Wednesday night holding court in Valdosta.  So, hope for a few
more bands and modes when I get home.  Good luck to all.  73, John, K4BAI.