[SESprint] SECC Team Registration for NA Sprint CW Tonight

John Laney k4bai at att.net
Sat Sep 10 12:00:13 EDT 2016

Hi Guys:

Here is a copy of our team registration for tonight's NA Sprint CW.  I
think you are all experienced Sprint ops, but I will mention a few
thoughts at random.

Most SO1R activity starts on 20 to get as many QSOs as possible before
the band folds and then moves to 40 and 80.  I like to go back to 20 for
any stragglers like a KL7 or VE6 before I got to 80.  And I will go back
to 40 if the rate on 80 slows significantly.  Those of you who are SO2R
will probably pick up a few of the more local multipliers on 40 early
and you might miss them later since we have been having significant long
skip on 40 even during the day.  But, in this contest, the mults count
per contest and not band and you should pick up the more local mults on
80.  There is always a RTTY contest, so move lower in the band for
Sprint QSOs if you must.

Don't forget the QSY rule.  If you make a QSO that you solicited (such
as by CQ or QRZ call), you must QSY 5 kHz at least before you CQ again
and at least one kHz before you call another station.  There is a rhythm
that you may get in where you call a station, stay on the frequency and
work the first caller, and then move at least one kHz and call another
station.  That is the way I often work this contest, but W4AN, who was
the master of this contest, once said that he worked the entire contest
SO2R only by calling CQ.  So, a mixture is probably what you want.  If
you find a clear frequency more than five kHz since you last worked a
station who called you, try a quick CQ.  If you never call CQ, there are
some stations you can never expect to work.  If it seems that you are
always being beat out on a jump ball, go up or down just beyond the
major activity and call CQ NA or just "NA."

If you get a chance to work a station outside the US and Canada (a North
American country multiplier), and he will give you his name, it is worth
spending some time to get that QSO in the log.  If you work someone
outside NA, his exchange is only "Name."  If you logging software wants
something in the section box, enter "DX."  You can take the "DX" out of
the Cabrillo log afterward (or it will probably be OK to leave it in the
log).

Please also post your score to 3830 by Monday or Tuesday and I'll pick
it up from there.  When you go to 3830, put your home club name in the
report from the drop down list.  For team, look for just "SECC" on the
drop down list for team.

Thanks to everyone for your interest and I know you will operate as much
as you can and make the highest score you can.  If you have an
amplifier, we'd appreciate your using it to increase your score,
although we do understand that someone may want to try for the highest
LP score, for example. So that is OK, but everything else being equal,
you will make more QSOs the more power you can legally run.

Hope everyone has fun and that band conditions will be cooperative.  I
usually have a goal of 80 minutes on each band, but, if the rate drops
earlier, I'll move down the bands earlier.  There often seems to be a
drop in rate during the last half hour on 80.  The SO2R guys can make
good use of their time then by alternating between 40 and 80.

I'll put out a score summary, as usual, by Wednesday, I hope. 73, John,
K4BAI.