[Skimmertalk] Category Definitions

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Tue Jul 1 21:22:47 EDT 2008

One of the reasons I subscribed to this new reflector was that I thought
it might lead to some discussion on what might be desirable for category
definitions looking forward, and I suspect that the various contest
sponsors had similar hopes for usable feedback.  So instead of getting
derailed by excursions into no-code and ADA (for which personal
contribution I apologize), maybe it would be more productive to hear
some thoughts on what should constitute the intent of a baseline
category for amateur radio contesting.  There have been several comments
regarding the operating aids that already exist with logging programs,
SCP, keying buffers, CW decoders, waterfalls, etc, but if you had your
choice, where would you draw the line (if at all) for an
operator-emphasized category?

In the interests of keeping this civil, let's not turn this in to an
argument.  I'd like to suggest that anyone who sees fit to offer an
opinion simply list what they would include or not include as being
permissible, and why, and then maybe refrain from immediate
counter-posts for just a bit.  If you think that different flavors of
contests (DX, domestic, etc) warrant different treatment, you might want
to try to break that out as well.

I don't know if that will work, but at least I tried ...

73,
Dave   AB7E