[Skimmertalk] Getting Skimmer to work with an Icom 765pro radio

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Nov 5 20:47:40 EST 2008

At 05:48 PM 11/5/2008, KD3TB wrote:
>I have been trying to get Skimmer work with my Icom 756pro radio to prepare
>for the upcoming CQWW CW contest. It appears that Skimmer is not optimized
>to work on radios with only a 3 khz output such as my Icom 756pro.  Does
>anyone have any experience with Skimmer and the Icom 756pro radios that I
>can talk to?

Hi Irwin - this is not an Icom-specific issue.  Unless you find a way to
down-convert the first IF (before the roofing filter) you are limited to a
3-KHx bandwidth.  Even with a downconverter, you will need some sort of a
low-frequency SDR to sample the HF signal and convert it to audio.  A
softrock or similar simple SDR can do the job, or you can invest in an
SDR-IQ and use it directly on the ham bands by connecting it to the RX
antenna loop of your transceiver - unfortunately I don't believe the Icoms
have the RX antenna loop brought out to the back panel.

73, Pete