[Skimmertalk] CW Skimmer Version 1.4 - improved accuracy for contesters, new free trial period

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Jan 18 11:57:42 EST 2009

I have some good news to report for contester users of CW Skimmer.  I have
just finished a series of tests with Skimmer 1.4, to measure the
improvement in two areas important to contesters, in particular

· An excessive number of busted spots
· An excessive number of cases where a caller was mis-identified as a
runner and spotted when that should not have happened (called CQ/DE errors
below).

A little background first.  Skimmer was originally intended primarily as a
DXing tool, to facilitate cracking pileups.  In this application, speed of
identifying the desired station is a lot more important that whether or not
the program also generates some busted spots.  Last summer, Alex released a
version of Skimmer that was intended to let users tailor Skimmer’s callsign
validation to fit their preferences.  Four levels of validation were
offered:  Minimal and Normal, intended primarily for DXers, and Aggressive
and Paranoid, intended largely for contesters.

Now here’s the good news.  I tested version 1.3 and version 1.4 against a
10-minute excerpt from a recording of 40M, during the CQWPXCW last May,
using a May 2008 master.dta file and Aggressive call validation.  I
listened to the recording for each spot that Skimmer made, and classified
them  as OK, busts, and CQ/DE errors.

Here are the data:

Version             1.3                 1.4             Improvement
Stations missed*    --                 11 (of 92)       --
Busts               21                  0 (!)          >99%
CQ/DE errors        15                  3               80%

*legitimate CQ’s missed by the new version; in most cases, these stations
were very weak or were only heard to CQ once during the 10-minute sample,
for whatever reason.

For anyone who wants to try this for himself, Alex has made Version 1.4
available for download from <http://www.dxatlas.com/>www.dxatlas.com for a
30-day free trial.  People who earlier downloaded a trial can do so again
with this version.

73, Pete N4ZR
the World Contest Station Database is back, and updated daily
www.conteststations.com