[Skimmertalk] Antennas for multi-band Skimmer installations [more]

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sat Jul 4 03:07:28 PDT 2009

More on this - I asked Jack Smith, K8ZOA of Clifton Labs about the
difference in sensitivity between his active antenna with an 8-foot
whip and a resonant vertical.  He says that it is within a half a dB
or so.  The short whip is much more sensitive to noise pickup by the
shield of the feedline, so an excellent common mode choke is
critical.  In this connection I've been doing some experiments here
with various common mode chokes.  I'm not done yet, but the results
so far are kind of interesting see
<http://wiki.contesting.com/index.php/Common_mode_chokes>.

73, Pete N4ZR