[Skimmertalk] Perseus and Skimmer- revisit?

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 24 04:44:54 PDT 2009

Please excuse me if this has been discussed recently, but I've been away
from the list a while.

A year or so back I made the not inconsiderable investment in the
Perseus with the broad intention of dedicating it to Skimmer work. Of
course I found that there were overriding technical gotchas concerning
the sample rate which the Skimmer author did not and ( at that time )
would not support. I know there were workarounds ( was it from
Bob/N6TV??) to address this issue, but tbh I considered this too much
hassle at the time.

The Perseus is an amazing rx in absolute terms  of that there is no
doubt, but the inherent latency sadly makes it unusable  for real-time
contest work, and therefore its only real value to me is as a Skimmer
rx. I recently saw that the K3LR team had made an investment in multiple
Perseus units, so I guess something must have changed for the positive?

I wonder therefore if their is a concise answer to the question of
whether Perseus is a viable tool for use with Skimmer, or should I just
write it off to experience?

As an aside, are any of the US origin SDRs now approved for import into
the EU?

Thanks for the bandwidth.

73

Clive