[Skimmertalk] S&P and getting spotted

Jeff Maass jmaass at k8nd.com
Sun Nov 7 06:04:41 PST 2010

G'day Barry:

Of course, I don't know the exact algorithms involved in identifying when a
decoded callsign is CQing (I think we'd all like to know more about the
inner workings of the CW Skimmer code), but I can some possible areas for
enhancement.

The CW Skimmer code performance is **REMARKABLE** as-is. I loved watching
people at a club presentation have their eyes widen and their jaws drop when
I played back some Skimmer recordings I made at PJ2T during the 2009 CQ 160
CW Contest, where the bandmap started filling within a second of starting
the replay, and a couple hundred callsigns (most in Europe) were evident
after just a few minutes. (These files are available for download on my
"online notebook" at http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/CW_Skimmer.htm: upper right
corner).

I have no doubt, given Alex' undivided attention for a few weeks and some
ideas from Smart People, that performance (and especially documentation)
could be enhanced somewhat. Of course, I don't have control of Alex' time,
and any payback for him is very small. He has already contributed greatly to
the Amateur community (not just for CW Skimmer and Skimmer Server: I would
be much less happy if I didn't have DX Atlas to use, and had to go back to
my fragile old DX Edge slide rules for greyline analysis), far more than
most of us.

If I were a rich man, I might offer to hire Alex for a
cannot-refuse-amount-of-money to concentrate exclusively on Skimmer
enhancements for several months. I'm not rich, so that's unlikely to happen!

73,

Jeff  Maass K8ND

Station Manager, PJ2T
Caribbean Contesting Consortium

PJ2T CW Skimmer Server (Coming 24/7/365 in November!):
         http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/PJ2T_CW_Skimmer_Server.htm

CCC Web Site:         http://www.pj2t.org
PJ2T Slide Show:      http://www.k8nd.com/Radio/SEMDXA_Sept2010.pdf
Curacao Critters:     http://www.CuracaoCritters.com