[Skimmertalk] Blind CW Skimmer Spots

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Wed Sep 22 14:56:52 PDT 2010

CW Skimmer in its normal mode has the capability to telnet spots to the
N1MM bandmaps.  Aside from the information displayed on the N1MM
bandmaps, that also gives the operator the ability to step from one
station to the next within N1MM using the keyboard.  You can be running
stations on VFO A, momentarily switch to the window for VFO B, press
CTRL-Up/DnArrow and jump directly to the frequency of the next potential
S&P contact.

In Blind Mode (legal for unassisted operation), however, CW Skimmer
currently does not telnet "spots" to N1MM since there is no callsign
identified.  CW Skimmer still identifies frequencies for each station it
hears (even if it can't decode a callsign) and places a marker (small
circle) on its own bandmap, but it won't pass anything to N1MM.  It
seems to me that it would be very useful if CW Skimmer in Blind Mode
could telnet spots to N1MM even if the only information passed was a
random label and the frequency.  That would allow SO2V or SO2R stations
operating unassisted to be able to step through potential 2nd rig/vfo
stations without their hands leaving the keyboard to tune a knob on the
rig.  Spots submitted by the operator (worked stations, etc) would still
be visible, of course.

Before anyone gets all lathered up about my suggestion, it is already
legal for an unassisted operator to use CW Skimmer in Blind Mode and to
step through station frequencies using the CW Skimmer bandmap.  I just
think it would be more convenient to do so without having to jump from
the N1MM window to the CW Skimmer window.

Would anyone else find telnetted blind spots from CW Skimmer to be
useful?  If so, please let me know ... privately if you prefer.  I'm
trying to take a sort of informal survey on the idea.

73,
Dave   AB7E