[Skimmertalk] Bad Skimmer Spots

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Fri Feb 4 12:53:42 PST 2011

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com

On 2/4/2011 12:55 PM, Lee Sawkins wrote:
> Yes, CC Cluster does a local lookup using the latest FCC data.
> Nothing to do with QRZ.
>
> Although it is a good idea to drop non issued USA calls, the point I
> was trying to make is that there are many broken calls that look
> exactly like good ones.  These ones are only detectable as they are
> not currently valid FCC ones.  You cannot simply look at the output of
> a skimmer for obvious broken calls and use that as a measure of how
> accurate its spotting is. Something to remember when running "normal"
> validation.

During the development of Skimmer, I spent many hours doing manual
analysis of Skimmer "runs" using manual lookups of QRZ (not just the FCC
database) to make sure I caught all the busts.  However, use of the FCC
database is a good idea, and can easily be incorporated into DXSpider as
well.

> As skimmer operators can and do change validation levels it would be
> nice to see what level they are currently using displayed in their
> spots.  If using "aggressive" perhaps you could accept their spots
> without further processing.  If "normal" then maybe you need several
> "normals" that agree on the calls.

The RBN team is looking into this.

73, Pete N4ZR