[Skimmertalk] Help--What's Going On?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Jul 18 15:36:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 9:29 AM, David Robbins <k1ttt at verizon.net> wrote:

> maybe there is something in the call validation logic that is more
> sensitive to the 2x2 call

Actually the logic is *insensitive* to WS7*xx* callsigns in particular,
though this can easily be corrected.

The callsign recognition algorithm is based on callsign patterns in a file
named *Patt3Ch.lst*, which on my XP system is found in:

C:\Documents and Settings\[userid]\Application Data\Afreet\Reference\

(it will probably be in a different location on a Vista or Windows 7
system, maybe under

C:\Users\[Userid]\AppData\**Roaming\Afreet\Reference\

Inside that file you can see the problem. Any callsign beginning with WS7
is expected to have just *one* letter after the prefix, not two:

  WS0@
+ WS1@
  WS2@
  WS3@
  WS4@
  WS4@@
  WS5@
  WS6@
  WS6@@
+ WS7@
  WS8@
  WS8@@
+ WS9@

A plus sign in front of a pattern in the file means that the calls that
match the pattern are "most likely correct," that is they will be spotted
faster by the Skimmers.

Apparently there were too few WS7*xx* callsigns in use at the time that the
pattern file was created, so it was not included.

If you feel strongly about this, you try to ask all Skimmer ops to add WS7@@
to the list. :-)  Then WS7SX will be spotted by Skimmers.

73,
Bob, N6TV