[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] What causes audio images with QS1Rs?

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Feb 24 10:46:32 EST 2013

Hi Rick - I've been in contact with Phil and he has been very
responsive.  He says that clipping at the ADC would not produce images
of the sort that appear equidistant from the center frequency, mimicking
the behavior of a quadrature detector/sound card RX.

It's an interesting idea to ask the QS1R guys who have this problem to
use a fairly strong signal source and the SDRMAXV software to see if an
image appears where you'dexpect. In one case I recall clearly, the
images all tracked back to a center frequency of 7045.5, which I presume
squares with the 91 KHz that CW Skimmer covers in 96-KHz mode.

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network at
http://reversebeacon.net,
blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com.