[Skimmertalk] Couple of questions

Wes Cosand wes.cosand at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 22:35:10 EST 2016

Hi Mike:

At about 10 pm local time I have 500 CW decoders on 160 meters using 192
khz bandwidth and CW Segment. (My 10-80 meter HyTowerJr antenna was damaged
last week in an ice storm so it isn't an optimal 160 antenna.)

If there are any SSB signals you will probably get large numbers of
decoders, depending on your bandwidth and your CW segment parameter in your
ini file.

Gain some comfort running just the CW skimmer server first before adding
RTTY.  Watch the CPU load as you change the number of bands, the bandwidth,
and the CW segments.

Then begin adding RTTY, copying and pasting the CenterFreq parameter line
and the SegmentSel line.  Keep narrow RTTY Segments at first, watching the
Available Resources meter on the RTTY Skimmer application.  Hope I haven't
forgotten something important... sigh...

Feel free to email me if you have questions.  It takes a fast machine to do
much with both skimmers at the same time but your son's older I7 ought to
do reasonably well.

The 30 day trial isn't crippled in any way.

Wes WZ7I

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 9:46 PM, W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu at w0mu.com> wrote:

> I have a QSR1 and have broadcast band filter on my antenna which currently
> is a Cushcraft R8 10-40m.  I am getting over 100 to 200 decoders on 160
> cw???  Is there something I need to do with the receiver to adjust the
> noise level or something?  I turned off 160 and then I started seeing
> decoders popping on 15m and the band is dead. I restarted the QSR1 and that
> seemed to stop the 15m issue but the 160 one continues to grow.
>
> I attempted to run an RTTY skimmer on the same computer but it appears to
> be under powered to handle the task.  It is an older quad core with 16 GB
> of ram.  Adding in the RTTY component was killer.    I guess I will try one
> of my son's older gaming rigs which I think is an I7 and see if that can
> handle the load.  I checked my ini files and they are in sync.  Is there
> anything else to check before attempt to load up the other machine.  I am
> using the 30 day trial of the the RTTYserver.  That should not be an issue
> should it?
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> W0MU

Wes Cosand