[Skimmertalk] Call Sign Pattern File

Pete Smith N4ZR n4zr at comcast.net
Mon Nov 21 13:52:01 EST 2016

I thought I had posted the answer to this question on the reflectors,
but I maybe not.  The story is this - making up a new pattern file is a
big job, which I last did in March 2015.  It involves getting a download
of QRZ.com queries by call and number of hitsin the past year.  These
calls are then processed into patterns using some fairly arcane (at
least to me) regular expressions manipulation, and ranked as to very
commonand not so common. Finally, the whole thing must be formatted as a
pattern file - that's the easy part.

Last time I did this took ~100 hours, and frankly, I have forgotten a
lot of the details.  I could probably resurrect most of the procedure
from files that I retained, but the time and focus just haven't been
there.  Until that happens, when people ask me to add their new prefix
to the pattern file, my answer is "join the reflectorsand ask individual
RBN node-ops to add your listing to their files."

I do not think it would be right to distribute a new pattern file until
I can do it fairly.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at
<http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.

On 11/21/2016 1:55 AM, Bob Wilson, N6TV wrote:
> Pete,
>
> Is the patt3ch.lst file here http://reversebeacon.net/pages/patt3ch.lst+21
>   (up-to-date)?  The comment on that web page says
>
> Download the latest file, dated 19 Mar 2015 here.
> <http://content.reversebeacon.net/sites/reversebeacon.net/files/users/user3/patt3ch.lst>
>
> Is it really the latest?  It doesn't seem to have the ZF9 entry requested
> by K5GO/ZF9CW.
>
> 73,
> Bob, N6TV
>
> On Mon, Nov 7, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> It is a simple text file.  Here's a snippet:
>>
>> + ZF1@
>> + ZF1@@
>>    ZF2@
>> + ZF2@@
>>
>> The most common patterns are denoted with +, and require fewer repetitions
>> before the software "believes" them.  Patterns not on the list are still
>> spotted, but take more repetitions.
>>
>> 73, Pete N4ZR
>> Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
>> <http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
>> out the Reverse Beacon Network at
>> <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
>> spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
>> For spots, please use your favorite
>> "retail" DX cluster.
>>

>> On 11/7/2016 4:40 PM, Andy KU7T wrote:
>>
>>> What is the correct syntax?  I see "+" infront of some lines, and it is
>>> not
>>> clear to me what the pattern is...
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Andy