[Skimmertalk] [RBN-OPS] false 6 meter spots

N6EV - Paul Carreiro Paul at N6EV.com
Fri Jul 7 20:02:29 EDT 2017

Hi Pete, et.al.
I would highly discourage RBN doing away with
non-CQ spots on 6 meters.  Doing so would
eliminate all beacon spots on the band.  And
beacon spots are essential to early detection of sporadic-E openings.

As has been mentioned, the culprit in most of
these false-spot situations is more often than
not running normal mode vs. aggressive callsign
validation with non-CQ calls passed.  And this
almost always happens with an RBN node trying to
run both HF bands and 6 Meters at the same
time.   Unfortunately, the two (HF / VHF) have
competing requirements.  HF needs normal
validation with CQ only spots.  6 Meters needs
aggressive validation with non-CQ spots
passed.   I wish there was a way for the skimmer
software to apply these attributes selectively
based on HF vs 6 meters in these multi-band
setups.   Until that capability appears, I would
suggest such setups that continue to run
multi-band with 6 meters run with normal callsign
validation and CQ Only selected.  As stated
above, unfortunately this would eliminate beacon
spots, but their quality of spots on 6 would
improve (i.e. false spots reduced).

I also run a single band 6 meter Softrock Enemble
RX SDR.  So I'm not directly familiar with these
multi-band setups.  Realizing that, is there a
way to run multiple instances of Skimmer/Server
and Aggregator on a single SDR, splitting HF and
6 meters between the software?  That would allow
applying the attributes above appropriately per band.

73
Paul N6EV
http://N6EV.com/