[Skimmertalk] New MFJ omni-directional horizontally

Drew Vonada-Smith drew at whisperingwoods.org
Fri May 26 13:10:06 EDT 2017

Bob,

By "buffered vertical", I mean a Hi-Z type preamp.  High input impedance to make it work over a wide range with a simple ground, but only unity gain.  Gain is not needed for my QS1R up to 20 meters.  I am using one of the preamps sold by DX Eng for the YCCC phased array kit.  It’s a nice cheap solution for Hi-Z in and no gain at the lower frequencies.  And, the unity gain is quite precise in case I ever wanted to make it part of an array.

The vertical is ground mounted with a fiberglass sleeve to minimize capacitance to ground as in any Hi-Z type vertical.  I am more or less following the YCCC phased array antenna construction, with one element.  I am using two small 4 ft ground rods and no radials.  Not needed for this type of feed.  My TX antennas are about 200 ft away.  I have no overload problems and do not use any bypass switching; the intent is to have the skimmer active all the time, including transmit.  Otherwise, the utility is somewhat limited during contests.

On the horizontal, I went for low noise and about 20 dB gain (PGA-103 MMIC), which again is a good match for the QS1R at the higher frequencies.  The antenna is about 22 ft high, and I hope to go a bit higher if I can do so without guying.  It is on a tilt over mount with large diameter EMT pipe for easy access.  No problems or TX switching here either.  Very cheap to build and MFJ will even sell you parts if you are so inclined.  I bought some of their sheet metal to save time and used my own fiberglass spreader and balun/preamp, while dropping 20M and adding 6M.

73,
Drew K3PA

Message: 1