[Skimmertalk] Dynamic Range of SDR

dd5xx at web.de dd5xx at web.de
Tue Nov 28 14:03:22 EST 2017

There was no caller yet -HI- I just had started my CQ call.

73
Saki, DD5XX

Gesendet: Dienstag, 28. November 2017 um 19:53 Uhr
Von: "Bob Wilson, N6TV" <n6tv at arrl.net>
An: "DD5XX (Saki)" <dd5xx at web.de>, "SkimmerTalk Reflector" <skimmertalk at contesting.com>
Betreff: Re: [Skimmertalk] Dynamic Range of SDR

This happens occasionally when Skimmer mixes up the callsign of the CQing station (W3LPL) and the caller (DD5XX).  If W3LPL had to send your callsign twice in a row before you came back to him, Skimmer could think the CQing station was DD5XX instead of W3LPL, generating an incorrect S/N report by his local skimmer.  It's likely that's is what happened in this case.

Since the S/N ratio of CQing stations is logged in the RBN raw data files, it is possible to view the max. reported S/N for every skimmer, by band, during the CQ WW contest.  I'll see if I can pull a report together unless someone else has already done this.  Maybe Tomi can add it to Tableu faster than I can write a new report.

There are some S/N ratios of 99 dB listed in the files.  Nothing over 100.  Not sure what to make of these.

73,

Bob, N6TV
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 2:12 AM, <dd5xx at web.de[mailto:dd5xx at web.de]> wrote:I had a weird S/N report during CQWWCW contest on 40m. I was running 100W with a very low performance ANT in the center of a city between huge buildings. Of course I know the S/N reports I got from US stations, usual lower than 10dB in best times <20dB. W3LPL reported 73dB, I was shocked -HI- of course this never can be a real S/N report but who knows what happened at that particular time when he spotted me. I never saw such spots before, I even wasn't aware that it can go up so high. However, it was funny to see this on the RBN.

73
Saki, DD5XX